Pondering of heading out in your subsequent highway journey journey, however undecided the place to go? We’ve obtained you coated. Whether or not you reside on the East Coast or are in search of a visit out of a much bigger metropolis, this checklist is certain to encourage an epic journey, regardless of which one you select:
11. Outer Banks, North Carolina
You might have heard of Outer Banks from the hit Netflix television present by the identical identify and if that’s the case, it’s most likely been in your thoughts to journey there! Following the Outer Banks Scenic Byway from north to south takes you thru a sequence of islands on the coast of North Carolina with loads of wildlife and seashores alongside the best way.
- Corolla: This small city is thought for its wild horses. Hire a motorcycle and spend the day driving round and exploring.
- Currituck Nationwide Wildlife Refuge: A comparatively undeveloped space, the refuge is a good place to get off the overwhelmed path and discover.
- Kitty Hawk Pier: Stuffed with historic landmarks and seashore actions, it is a basic North Carolina journey.
- Wright Brothers Nationwide Memorial: This fast cease is the positioning of the primary managed, powered flight which took off in 1903. Right here you’ll be able to even discover a full-sized duplicate of the Wright brother’s 1903 Powered Flyer.
- Bodie Island Lighthouse: An area must-see, this landmark has been round since 1847 and has an attention-grabbing historical past connected to it.
- Hatteras Village: That is the place you will discover Outer Banks’ most pristine seashores and lovable small city vibe–an excellent place to wrap up your journey.
10. Portland to Bar Harbor, Maine
The scenic drive from Portland to Bar Harbor is sort of a fantasy – quaint fishing cities, lobster, rocky coastal cliffs, and naturally, lighthouses. This route takes you proper by Acadia Nationwide Park, too!
- Portland: There’s lots to do in Portland to kick off this epic journey. Take a lobster boat tour, go to an area brewery, or spend a while on the rocky seashore taking within the sights.
- Boothbay Harbor: That is the place you will discover a uncommon sandy stretch of seashore. Kayak to discover Muscongus Bay or catch a cruise to see whales or puffins close by.
- Rockland: Recognized for its artsy vibe, this small city is house to the Middle for Maine Modern Artwork. Wish to get out on the water? Hop on a Maine Windjammer for a fast sail.
- Bar Harbor: A good way to wrap up the journey, Bar Harbor lies proper outdoors Acadia Nationwide Park, which is stuffed with websites to see. Climb to the highest of Cadillac Mountain and reap the benefits of every thing the park has to supply.
From Bar Harbor, you’ll be able to take the freeway again to Portland which is only a 3-hour drive.
9. Boston, MA to Burlington, VT
That is your basic New England highway journey if there ever was one. With loads of mountain views to get pleasure from and quaint small cities to discover, the drive between Boston and Burlington could be as lengthy or as brief as you need it to be.
- Boston: Boston is stuffed with historical past and iconic structure. Whether or not you wish to take a look at the various museums across the metropolis or discover the landmarks alongside the Freedom Path, there may be lots to do right here.
- Lincoln, NH: Nestled in New Hampshire’s White Mountains, Lincoln has out of doors actions galore: mountain climbing by Flume Gorge, zipline by the bushes at Loon Mountain, and a lot extra.
- Stowe, VT: Now onto Vermont’s Inexperienced Mountains, proceed your out of doors journey with mountain climbing, biking, and mountaineering. After a full day of out of doors enjoyable, head to close by Waterbury for a manufacturing unit tour at Ben & Jerry’s!
- Burlington, VT: As Vermont’s largest metropolis, there may be lots to do and see in Burlington. Downtown you’ll discover loads of museums, a thriving artwork scene, and superior New England eating places. Burlington can be an excellent launching level for the Lake Champlain Scenic Byway, in case you wish to lengthen your journey.
8. NYC to Provincetown, MA
There are many choices for East Coast journeys beginning in New York Metropolis, however this one is has a particular appeal about it. Summer time is the very best time to embark on this journey, however remember the fact that visitors is thick on the weekends as you permit the town. Attempt kicking off this one in the course of the week if you happen to can.
- Mystic, CT: Mystic is a couple of 3-hour drive from NYC, with loads of little stops alongside the best way if you wish to lengthen your journey. This little seashore city has a laid again, enchanting vibe. Whereas peak tourism season is summertime, fall is specific lovely right here.
- Newport, RI: Newport is the yachting capital of the world, but additionally an excellent place sail. Take a stroll on the Cliff Stroll and take within the gilded age structure and ocean views or go to a number of the well-known Newport Mansions.
- Windfall, RI: Often known as Rhode Island’s inventive capital, Windfall is a laid again faculty city with lots to do and see. You may take a gondola on the river, bike the paths alongside the East Bay, or go to one of many many museums on the town.
- Falmouth, MA: Only a brief ferry away from Martha’s Winery, it is a great spot to calm down and benefit from the seashores of Cape Cod. Hop on the Cape Cod bike path for a scenic trip earlier than heading additional north.
- Provincetown, MA: Provincetown is a very charming a novel city. as America’s oldest artwork colony, it has a wealthy historical past and loads of inventive areas to get pleasure from. Take a look at the close by sand dunes on the Cape Cod Nationwide Seashore or go whale watching on the ocean.
7. Washington, DC to Charlottesville, VA
Slicing proper by the scenic Shenandoah Nationwide Park, this journey is stuffed with historic landmarks, out of doors adventures, and people scenic stretches of highway that make the lengthy drive value it.
- Woodstock, VA: This tiny city with a inhabitants simply over 3,000 is a hub for Revolutionary and Civil Warfare historical past. Take a look at the Woodstock Tower atop Massanutten Mountain and discover the newly opened Seven Bends State Park.
- Harrisonburg, VA: One other city on the top of Shenandoah Nationwide Park, you’ll arrive right here by means of the Skyline Drive, the one public highway that goes by the park. It’s an excellent place to relaxation and is known for its frozen custard at Klines Dairy Bar.
- Charlottesville, VA: House to each the Thomas Jefferson Monticello property and the house of President James Monroe, Charlottesville is stuffed with historic websites and quirky colonial gems, just like the Michie Tavern. Catch a sundown at Carter Mountain Orchard, the place you’ll be able to get pleasure from some reside music or take a look at the native produce they promote.
- Bonus–Richmond, VA: Should you’re heading again to D.C., take into account taking the good distance house and stopping in Richmond for one final hurrah. Recognized for its eclectic meals scene, craft beer, and nice museums. The Institute of Modern Artwork, Virginia Museum of High quality Arts, and the Lewis Ginter Botanical Backyard are all value a cease.
6. Philly to Pittsburgh, PA
This journey is a fast one if you happen to don’t make any stops, however there may be a lot to see between these two iconic cities. Should you’re huge on American historical past, this East Coast highway journey is for you!
- Lancaster: Situated in Pennsylvania Dutch Nation, Lancaster is stuffed with Amish tradition and traditions which have stood the take a look at of time. Take a buggy trip earlier than stocking up on handmade Amish sweet to final the remainder of your journey.
- Hershey and Harrisburg: Talking of sweet, Hershey is actually an East Coast landmark. Go to the Hershey-specific sights resembling Hershey’s Chocolate World or embark in town’s Candy Deal with Path to essentially get essentially the most out of this sugary wonderland. Close by in Harrisburg, you’ll be able to gear up for the following cease of your journey by brushing up in your historical past on the Nationwide Civil Warfare Museum.
- Gettysburg: There’s a lot historical past to find in Gettysburg and so some ways to get immersed in it. Take a tour of the battlefield or check out any one of many city’s actions, together with an apple pie making class!
- Laurel Highlands: Itching to get out into nature? This cease proper outdoors of Pittsburg is stuffed with out of doors journey alternatives, together with rafting at Pennsylvania’s largest state park Ohiopyle and exploring the caves at Laurel Caverns.
- Pittsburgh: Final however actually not least, wrap up your journey in Pittsburg with a craft beer, a sports activities sport, and a go to to any of the various museums within the metropolis.
5. Baltimore, MA to Virginia Seashore, VA
This East Coast highway journey is a round one, making its approach down the shore to Virginia Seashore and again up once more on the opposite aspect of the Chesapeake Bay earlier than touchdown again in Baltimore.
- Baltimore, MD: Should you’re going to go to Baltimore, make certain to not miss out on its vibrant artwork, theatre, and music scene. The Baltimore Museum of Artwork and a complete assortment of area of interest museums make this metropolis distinctive and positively value a go to.
- Annapolis, MD: Earlier than you do something in Annapolis, you need to attempt their well-known crab muffins at one of many native eating places. Afterwards, take a look at the Naval Academy and the close by Historic London City and Gardens to get a glimpse of the realm’s lovely nature.
- St. Michaels, MD: Should you’re seeking to spend a while on the water, that is the place to do it. Kayak or paddleboard on the Chesapeake aspect of the bay, or get pleasure from one of many many excursions out there. St. Michaels can be house to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum–a must-stop on this journey!
- Chincoteague, VA: This is likely one of the few locations within the USA the place you will discover wild ponies, making it an superior place for households. This quaint city can be proper alongside the Assateague Island Nationwide Seashore, which is a quiet place to get out and discover.
- Virginia Seashore, VA: An awesome East Coast seashore vacation spot, Virginia Seashore lies between the Atlantic Ocean and the Chesapeake Bay and is most well-known for its unbelievable meals scene as its location yields a few of America’s finest seafood.
- Williamsburg, VA: Situated close by to lots different historic websites, Williamsburg is the right launching level for a full US historical past tour if that’s your factor. Take a look at Colonial Williamsburg, the Jamestown Settlement, and plenty of different historic websites whilst you go to.
4. Raleigh, NC to Savannah, GA
From inland Raleigh, alongside the Southeastern coast and eventually touchdown in Savannah, this journey is stuffed with Southern appeal and kitschy stops.
- Raleigh, NC: This Southeastern metropolis might actually be a complete journey by itself with how a lot there may be to do there, but it surely’s additionally an excellent launching level for this epic highway journey. Be certain that to reap the benefits of Raleigh’s spectacular meals scene and get out to see some reside music earlier than embarking in your journey south.
- Myrtle Seashore, SC: An East Coast basic, Myrtle Seashore is the form of seashore vacation spot the place you’ll be able to anticipate to see boardwalks stuffed with household sights, seafood eating places, arcades, and a lot extra. Should you’re in search of a quieter cease right here, take into account heading to the salt marshes or Brookgreen Gardens, which are typically much less crowded.
- Charleston, SC: One other greater metropolis, Charleston is finest recognized for its wealthy historical past, southern appeal, and superb barbeque. For a faster journey, take into account hopping on one of many many excursions out there, or just take a stroll by city to take a look at the spectacular structure of the previous properties and gardens.
- Beaufort, SC: Like Charleston and Savannah, Beaufort is stuffed with historical past and sweetness. Eager to get out into nature a bit extra? No worries, as Beaufort is true subsequent to a few of South Carolina’s most lovely marshes and waterways.
- Savannah, GA: Recognized for its southern consolation meals, large oak bushes hanging with Spanish moss, and beautiful historic properties, Savannah is the right place to finish your journey. Even higher, it’s often known as one of many ‘world’s friendliest cities’! Searching for some inspo? Take a look at BMTM’s Savannah Information!
3. Wilmington, NC to Jacksonville, FL
This checklist isn’t full and not using a really coastal highway journey stuffed with some the East Coast’s finest seashore locations. This route is nice for an extended journey, because the 7 hour drive could be damaged up with as many stops as you wish to make. Listed here are only a few:
- Wilmington, NC: Wilmington is a flexible place to begin your journey because it boasts all types of sights and out of doors enjoyable. As the primary American metropolis to obtain the designation of “American World Warfare II Heritage Metropolis,” there may be loads of historical past right here. You too can discover loads of museums, gardens, and island seashore sights on the town.
- Kiawah Island, SC: Whereas this vacation spot is finest recognized for its luxurious seashore resorts, it’s also house to some unbelievable wildlife. The seashore itself is pristine and ideal for a soothing trip.
- Hilton Head Island, SC: That is one other extra laid again seashore city which boasts clear shores and plentiful wildlife. Get on the water and see if you happen to can spot the dolphins that inhabit the realm, or attempt the realm’s well-known lowcountry delicacies.
- Amelia Island, FL: Actually a fascinating vacation spot, Amelia Island is a good place to benefit from the uncrowded seashore and take in the solar. The island is house to lovely marshes, rivers and greenways to discover and is only a fast drive away from Cumberland the place you’ll be able to see wild horses.
2. St. Petersburg to Miami, FL
Florida’s panorama is various, making it an excellent place to embark on a highway journey. Take within the change of surroundings as you head south and take into account making a couple of stops alongside the best way.
- St. Petersburg: Recognized for its sunshine and artsy and eclectic vibe, St. Petersburg is house to loads of museums and parks to get pleasure from. Don’t skip on the Salvador Dali museum, which is actually one among a form. The Fort de Soto park is an area favourite, and naturally, the waterfront is the place to be any time of yr.
- Sarasota: Recognized for its comfortable white sandy seashores, Sarasota is the right place to absorb the solar and benefit from the ocean.
- Everglades Nationwide Park: Heading west on freeway 41, take a scenic drive by the Everglades, stopping at Shark Valley alongside the best way.
- Miami: Arriving in Miami, don’t miss the long-lasting South Seashore and Little Havana. Dance the night time away to salsa music, or take a extra laid again strategy and take a tour of the well-known road artwork at Wynwood Partitions.
1. NYC to Niagara Falls, NY
That is really an epic journey to prime off our checklist of epic East Coast highway journeys. Beginning in NYC and heading by upstate New York, watch because the surroundings modifications drastically earlier than your eyes earlier than arriving at top-of-the-line highway journey locations there may be–Niagara Falls.
- Finger Lakes Area: We’ve talked about the Finger Lakes earlier than on BMTM, and for good motive. This space of upstate New York is stuffed with outside actions and most of all, wine! A number of the finest wine within the USA could be discovered right here, because the local weather is ideal for wine manufacturing.
- Watkins Glen: This gem of a city could be discovered on the southernmost level of Seneca Lake and is finest recognized for Watkins Glen State Park the place a gorgeous waterfall awaits.
- Hammondsport: House to the distinctive attraction Corning Museum of Glass, this small city is stuffed with quirks. Not simply that, it’s additionally proper on Keuka Lake and subsequently has loads of out of doors actions to get pleasure from.
- Niagara Falls: There actually is a lot to do at Niagara Falls, past simply seeing the falls themselves. Don’t miss the Commentary Tower, Maid of the Mist, or Cave of the Winds whilst you’re there.
- Cooperstown: Should you’re heading again to the massive apple, take into account stopping in Cooperstown in your approach. One thing distinctive there may be the Girls’s Rights Nationwide Historic Park which is actually a historic gem. Even cooler, it’s also close to the Nationwide Girls’s Corridor of Fame in Seneca Falls!
From as far north as Maine and as far south as Miami, there are many superior stops alongside any one among these journeys. Whether or not you’re seeking to take a deep dive into American historical past, or simply in search of your subsequent seashore trip, the East Coast actually has all of it!