This publish was written by Emily Becker, who’s a Mexico-based freelance author for BMTM.
After residing in Mexico for 2 years, I’ve been to my fair proportion of fantastic seashores. With 1000’s of miles of shoreline on the Pacific aspect, the Gulf of Mexico, and the Caribbean, there’s loads of selection right here, too. There’s really a seaside in Mexico for everybody, starting from the mega-tourism of Riviera Maya to the crashing waves of Oaxaca.
Listed here are my high picks for the very best seashores in Mexico, from north to south:
1. Isla Espíritu Santo, Baja California Sur
On the decrease half of the Baja California peninsula only a quick boat journey away from La Paz is Isla Espíritu Santo. This island paradise is strictly the sort of place you dream of once you consider the proper island vacation spot. The island is uninhabited, so you may’t really keep on it. You’ll be able to go to the island in the course of the day whereas staying in La Paz, although.
The radiant white sandy seashores and contrasting purple rocks of the island are a few of the many issues that make this seaside so lovely. It’s additionally residence to some unique wildlife, which is what many individuals go to the island to see. Specifically, there may be an abundance of sea lions who dwell close by. A snorkeling journey like this one is the proper approach to see them.
- The place to remain: Similar to Balandra Seashore, the perfect place to remain as a way to go to Isla Espirítu Santo is La Paz. You’ll discover a great deal of fantastic choices there, like this tremendous reasonably priced loft Airbnb!
- The way to get there: The one approach to get to the island is by boat with a certified tour operator. The above-mentioned tour is a good choice, however you can even discover loads of others in La Paz, equivalent to Membership Cantamar.
2. Balandra Seashore, La Paz, Baja California Sur
That is a type of locations the place I’ve to cease and ask myself Is that this even actual? Balandra Seashore is so breathtaking that elements of it really feel surreal to see in particular person. Between the pristine shallow waters on the tender white sand and the reddish rocky mountains within the background, this seaside is without doubt one of the best so as to add to this checklist.
Balandra Seashore is close to the town of La Paz, Baja California Sur. For the reason that pandemic, authorities implement a capability restrict on the seaside, so that you’ll must get there early to have entry. Since La Paz is a good place to search out whale sharks from October to Might, you’ll have an important view of breaching whales from Balandra in the course of the season.
The most effective methods to take in the fantastic thing about Balandra Seashore is to snorkel in its pristine waters and take a peek on the number of glittering fish and different sea creatures. This tour features a cease at Balandra and likewise passes by the lighthouse at San Rafaelito.
- The place to remain: In La Paz, which is the closest to Balandra Seashore the place you may keep, Resort Catedral is without doubt one of the greatest choices you’ll discover and has an incredible rooftop.
- The way to get there: To get to Balandra, you will have to have a automobile or take a taxi. One other approach to get there may be to take a ship or jetski from a neighboring seaside, equivalent to Pichilingue. You’ll be able to prepare for a ship to choose you again up a number of hours after having fun with the seaside and it ought to value round 250 pesos (10.25 USD) per particular person, spherical journey.
3. Islas Marietas, Nayarit
Simply off the coast of Sayulita within the state of Nayarit are the Marietas islands. These small uninhabited islands are residence to sea caves, virgin seashores, and extremely clear water, to not point out the well-known Playa del Amor which is a hidden seaside paradise.
There’s a rumor that Islas Marietas was as soon as a bomb testing website, which is one notably sinister clarification for the gaping gap you’ll discover at Playa del Amor (aka “hidden seaside”) which appears to be like like a large skylight above the seaside.
This small group of islands is thought for its biodiversity and unbelievable snorkeling round it. Wildmex affords half-day snorkel excursions which is without doubt one of the greatest methods to take pleasure in every part the islands have to supply. This seaside vacation spot is actually probably the greatest in Mexico, so don’t miss out on a go to for those who’re ever within the Sayulita or Puerto Vallarta space!
- The place to remain: The most effective place to remain for those who plan to go to Islas Marietas is Sayulita, which has a ton of nice lodging choices. Aurinko Bungalows has rooms round $70-80 USD per night time and is a favourite amongst solo vacationers.
- The way to get there: If flying into Puerto Vallarta airport, you may attain Sayulita by personal automobile, public bus, and even Uber! From there, you’ll must ebook a tour like this one or from an organization in Sayulita or Puerto Vallarta.
4. Costa Careyes, Jalisco
Positioned on the rounded peninsula which makes up the southern a part of Bay of Banderas, Costa Careyes is a lesser-known paradise with virgin seashores, thick forests, and tons of wildlife. Though builders are simply starting to place up luxurious resorts within the surrounding Cabo Corrientes space, Costa Careyes has principally averted the mega development of many different seaside locations.
Costa Careyes is residence to rugged nature and small villages with little else alongside this a part of the coast, making it the proper seaside vacation spot for vacationers who’re in search of each an adventurous and peaceable expertise. The time to go to is now, as plans to construct extra infrastructure and resorts are underway and can seemingly result in an enormous increase in tourism to the world.
The shining star of Costa Careyes is the Selva de Cuitzmala, which is true in Costa Careyes’ again yard. With the unbelievable ocean views paired with the picturesque jungle, this is without doubt one of the most idyllic locations you’ll discover in Jalisco and feels a world away from the craziness of Puerto Vallarta.
- The place to remain: Airbnb has a ton of nice picks for mid-priced accomodations, like this 1 bed room casita with an ocean view. One other nice choice is that this boutique villa which incorporates breakfast and has an airport shuttle from Puerto Vallarta.
- The way to get there: Costa Careyes is a couple of 3-hour drive from the airport in Puerto Vallarta or an 1-hour drive from the airport in Manzanillo. You’ll be able to take a taxi from both of those airports for wherever between $40USD and $200USD, or you may take public transport. Should you resolve to go together with public transport, simply ask the place the parada de combis is and discover the combi going to Costa Careyes. You’ll be able to affirm with the driving force that you may be stopping there.
5. Zihuatanejo, Guerrero
You might have heard of Acapulco in Guerrero, which is certainly one of Mexico’s most well-known–and in my view, overrated–seashores within the nation. Skip the craziness of Acapulco and as a substitute head a bit additional north to Zihuatanejo. This laid again surf city has some killer waves and one of the beautiful seashores in Mexico; Playa Las Gatas.
There are 4 seashores in Zihuatanejo, essentially the most distant and greatest one by far being Playa Las Gatas. The dreamy turquoise water is ideal for swimming and snorkeling and the chilliness environment makes it the proper place to get away from the stresses of life and absolutely calm down. I can’t consider one other place that has such a serene environment like Playa Las Gatas.
The coast of Zihuatanejo has rocky cliffs, thick mangroves, and towering mountains along with the picturesque seashores. If the fantastic thing about this a part of Mexico wasn’t romantic sufficient, try this horseback driving tour that might be the proper date along with your accomplice, and even solo!
- The place to remain: If you’re in search of luxurious and serenity, look no additional than La Casa Que Canta (“the home that sings,” in English). This place is totally beautiful and rooms are round $300 per night time.
- The way to get there: Attending to Zihuatanejo is pretty simple as a result of it has an airport with each day flights coming in from Mexico Metropolis. To get to Playa Las Gatas, you may take a water taxi from the pier at Playa la Ropa in Zihuatanejo.
6. Mazunte, Oaxaca
Oh, Mazunte. The rocky shores of Oaxaca supply a mixture of cactus-speckled landscapes and tender sandy seashores that entice tons of surfers and barefoot hippies. I went to Mazunte for the primary time earlier this 12 months and fell in love instantly. Its chill environment, pleasant seafood, and crashing waves make for a soothing and restorative seaside expertise.
Mazunte is thought for its bohemian vibe and is a comparatively small city. You’ll be able to simply cowl your complete city on foot without having for transport when you get there. It’s an important place for a hike and a well-liked spot to look at the sundown is Punta Cometa, only a 30 minute stroll away from city. From Punta Cometa, you may climb down a rocky path to get to a secret spot referred to as the jacuzzi, a well-liked effervescent swimming gap.
There are a whole lot of fascinating issues taking place in Mazunte on any given day. From yoga lessons to shamanic ceremonies and hearth dances, you’ll discover every kind of esoteric and religious choices. One of the best ways to search out out what’s occurring there may be to maintain a watch out for flyers posted round city.
- The place to remain: You get a whole lot of bang on your buck in Mazunte. For instance, you may have this complete loft for simply $45 an evening! There are additionally loads of hostels with dorms and personal rooms accessible, however I’ve had nice luck on Airbnb in Mazunte. The hospitality there may be unbelievable!
- The way to get there: Mazunte is simply an hour south of Puerto Escondido, which has the closest massive airport. I like to recommend flying into Puerto Escondido after which taking a bus to Mazunte or renting a automobile. There are ADO buses, however the smaller combis go away faster and are simply as comfy.
7. Huatulco, Oaxaca
Simply south of Mazunte is Huatulco, which is about 20 miles of sandy seashores with 9 bays whole. On this massive seaside space, there are 36 totally different seashores to select from and every one has its personal character. It might be a disservice to the fantastic thing about Huatulco to decide on only one for this checklist, so I’m itemizing all of them along with a number of honorable mentions to my favorites: Playa Arrocito and Cacaluta.
The coast of Huatulco is thought for its tender golden sand and rocky bluffs towering over the deep blue waters of the Pacific ocean. Playa Arrocito is a tranquil patch of sandy seaside capped on each aspect by cliffs and is the proper place to calm down. You received’t see many individuals right here and facilities are slim, so take into account packing a picnic and bringing your personal gear if you wish to snorkel.
The identical goes for Cacaluta, which is much more secluded. In reality, you must hike by the jungle to get there! From Huatulco heart, take a taxi to the doorway of Cacaluta (it ought to solely value about 60 pesos) and use the indicators alongside the way in which to steer you to the seaside, which is a couple of 30 minute hike. There are not any eating places or facilities at this seaside so go ready! The tranquility and risk of getting the seaside to your self make it price it.
If you wish to stick with the primary seashores in Huatulco, you’ll nonetheless have an exquisite time. Take a look at this guided tour which can take you to 7 of the world’s well-known bays!
- The place to remain: Huatulco is residence to loads of massive motels and resorts, so I most popular Airbnb after I visited final 12 months. There are lots of reasonably priced choices within the central space of Playa Santa Cruz, like this entire apartment at simply $60 per night time.
- The way to get there: Huatulco has its personal airport referred to as Bahías de Huatulco Worldwide Airport, which you’ll be able to fly into from Mexico Metropolis on a connecting flight. From there, you may take a fast taxi to your lodging.
8. Isla Holbox, Quintana Roo
Should you’ve learn our full information to Isla Holbox, you understand that that is certainly one of my favourite seashores in Mexico. It’s a dreamy, colourful, enchanting place that is perhaps a bit touristy however it’s nonetheless an exquisite place to go to. Isla Holbox is an extended skinny island off the coast of the Yucatán peninsula and has the ocean on one aspect and a salty lagoon on the opposite. It’s one of the lovely locations in Mexico and one of many high locations within the nation to see whale sharks and bioluminescence.
Past the plain beautiful white sand seashores and wildlife sightings, Holbox has a number of cenotes close by and even some superior nature preserves. There are quite a few excursions accessible on the island that may take you out on the water or to totally different places, equivalent to Punta Cocos to see the bioluminescent water at night time.
Isla Holbox could also be booming with vacationers many of the 12 months, however it has maintained is native attraction regardless. You’ll see that there are various occasions taking place on the island on any given week and it’s notably enjoyable to go to throughout carnaval in February to see the enduring parade.
The calm, shallow waters on the seashores of Holbox make it the proper place to kayak and paddle board.
- The place to remain: For an expensive keep, try Villas Caracol which isn’t solely breathtakingly lovely, but additionally has breakfast included and a swimming pool. An amazing funds pleasant choice is that this cute rental unit on Airbnb that has a extra genuine, native really feel.
- The way to get there: To get to Isla Holbox, you may take a ferry from the port at Chiquilá. Should you’re coming from the Cancún airport, you may both take a taxi there or an ADO bus. Should you’re renting a automobile, there’s loads of parking in Chiquilá and solely prices about $4-5 per day to park.
9. Playa Norte, Isla Mujeres, Quintana Roo
You’ll discover that Cancún didn’t make this checklist, which is not any shade in direction of the Caribbean hotspot. Though the seashores in Cancún are a few of the most visited in the entire nation, you’re positively lacking out for those who don’t enterprise to different locations close by, like Isla Mujeres. Whereas Isla Mujeres is booming in recognition with increasingly guests every year, it’s not with out motive that so many individuals need to expertise its magnificence.
Playa Norte on Isla Mujeres is strictly the sort of seaside you dream of within the useless of winter once you haven’t seen the sunshine in weeks. With its powdery-soft white sand, clear shallow waters, and island breezes, visiting this pretty island is like stepping right into a postcard.
Even throughout peak season, Playa Norte is sufficiently big to seize a quiet spot and calm down the day away. Get there early within the morning to benefit from the tranquility earlier than different beachgoers arrive. Isla Mujeres is a well-liked kitesurfing vacation spot, so you’ll seemingly get to look at them as they fly within the distance.
- The place to remain: A candy factor about Isla Mujeres is that you could find reasonably priced lodging tremendous near the seaside, like this complete apartment for lower than $50 per night time.
- The way to get there: You may get to Isla Mujeres simply by way of ferry from Cancún’s Puerto Juarez Maritime Terminal, situated only a few miles north of the Resort Zone.
10. Xpu-ha, Quintana Roo
You’ve heard all concerning the seashores of Cancún, Tulum, Cabo, and Puerto Vallarta. Have you ever heard about Xpu-ha, although? This idyllic seaside is without doubt one of the Riviera Maya‘s greatest saved secrets and techniques and it’s one of many solely seashores within the space that isn’t overrun with vacationers throughout excessive season.
On any given day throughout any season, you’ll discover locals chilling out on Xpu-ha seaside and soaking in its magnificence. The environment at Xpu-ha is laid again and customarily uncrowded, which is a far cry from the busy seashores elsewhere. The powdery tender sand with cyan coloured water is nice for a swim and there are many alternatives to snorkel and dive there as nicely. Pair that with a pair contemporary fish tacos and a chilly beer for the proper beachy afternoon. What extra may a lady ask for?
- The place to remain: There are many pleasant choices on Airbnb for locations which are simply steps from the seaside, like this cute tiny home that’s actually proper on the shore.
- The way to get there: Xpu-ha is extremely simple to get to from Cancún’s worldwide airport. There are ADO buses that go from Cancún to Tulum, making a cease in Xpu-ha. You too can discover taxis on the airport that may take you straight to your lodging.
11. Mahahual, Quintana Roo
Much like Xpu-ha, Playa Mahahual is a small seaside village that has principally averted the mega-tourism of the area. Seeing a development but? Typically the perfect seashores aren’t those with the flamboyant eating places and bars proper on them, and I are inclined to favor those which are frequented by locals and have a extra chill vibe.
Mahahual is simply north of Bacalar and is standard amongst divers due to its unbelievable reefs simply off the shore. Earlier than seaside motels started to pop up in Mahahual, it was a sleeping fishing village. In reality, many of the city has retained its unique attraction and the touristy space is comparatively small.
- The place to remain: If you wish to keep proper on the seaside, it’s attainable to take action affordably in Mahahual at Noah Seashore Resort & Suites. Rooms vary between $100-200 USD per night time.
- The way to get there: You may get to Mahahual from Cancún’s worldwide airport, however it’s nearer to Chetumal’s nationwide airport. Should you fly into Cancún, you may catch a bus to Mahahual from the ADO terminal.
There’s no marvel why there’s a lot overlap in our most lovely locations in Mexico publish and this one. The seashores all through the nation are exceptional and it completely is sensible that so many individuals flock to Mexico’s shores every year. And the range! There are such a lot of totally different sorts of seashores, every having their very own aptitude.
What number of of those seashores have you ever been to? Whereas a few of these are massive vacationer hotspots, many are literally hidden gems! Tell us which of them are your favorites.
Pin me for later: