The American South is residence to a few of the most various landscapes and even a few of the most various populations that the USA has to supply, making it a unbelievable place to take a highway journey. Whether or not you might be on the lookout for a fast weekend journey or an extended, extra elaborate one, we’ve obtained you coated with these superior routes:
8. Houston, TX to New Orleans, LA
This epic highway journey will be began in both of those iconic southern cities and takes you thru part of the deep south that’s wealthy in historical past and tradition. That is actually a visit for these of you who’ve a bit extra time in your palms, because it’s longer in distance and covers many cities that you could be need to spend extra time in:
- Houston, TX: Go to the Area Middle and get your fill of the wonderous scientific world of NASA. Take a stroll on the Kemah Boardwalk the place you possibly can absorb Galveston Bay and even get some native eats equivalent to gumbo, contemporary oysters, or hush puppies.
- Golden Triangle, TX: Comprised of Beaumont, Port Arthur, and Orange, this vibrant space is residence to the Museum of the Gulf Coast and the Artwork Museum of South Texas. Make a fast cease or keep some time, as the world is thought for its scrumptious seafood.
- Lafayette, LA: This southern metropolis is thought for its historic villages, Vermilionville and Acadian Village, that are the perfect locations to soak up the tradition by means of stay music, dance, and native handicrafts.
- Baton Rouge, LA: Don’t miss the Louisiana Artwork & Science Museum and Baton Rouge Zoo as you make your means by means of this vibrant metropolis. Close by you’ll find the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge which works over the long-lasting Louisiana swamp land.
- New Orleans, LA: It goes with out saying that Nola is on most of our bucket lists, and for good cause. Recognized for its vibrant music scene and spectacular gastronomy, get immersed within the tradition by strolling alongside Royal Avenue or taking a free strolling Voodoo tour.
7. Nashville, TN to Atlanta, GA
One other longer journey on this checklist, this one will take you from the Tennessee hills all the best way to the deep south. Get able to see the panorama change as you embark in your journey:
- Nashville, TN: This musical metropolis is filled with stellar eating places, bars, and museums alike. Try the unique venue of the Grand Ole Opry on the Ryman Auditorium and ensure to not miss the Nation Music Corridor of Fame and Museum.
- Chattanooga, TN: Definitely underrated, this charming metropolis is a good place to get your fill of the outside. Catch a sundown at The Pedestrian Bridge or take a hike to Foster Falls at South Cumberland State Park.
- Franklin, TN: Often known as Tennessee’s finest saved secret, this quaint metropolis is thought for its southern attraction and stylish environment. It has fairly just a few Civil Conflict websites and even a pair whiskey distilleries which can be actually price stopping at.
- Birmingham, AL: A go to to Birmingham, regardless of how lengthy or brief, wouldn’t be full with no go to to the Civil Rights District. There you’ll find the Civil Rights Institute, which has a wealth of reveals and initiatives to discover. Town can be well-known for its BBQ, particularly at locations like Dreamland and Noticed’s.
- Montgomery, AL: Additionally alongside the Civil Rights Path, this metropolis is a good cease for historical past buffs. The Legacy Museum is thought to be one of the crucial essential and influential locations within the metropolis.
- Atlanta, GA: Atlanta is a cultural hub of the south and undoubtedly price spending time in. Go to the Middle for Civil and Human Rights or take a tour within the King Historic District for an interesting take a look at town’s wealthy historical past.
6. Charlotte, NC to Jacksonville, FL
The drive from Charlotte to Jacksonville is about 6 hours nonstop, however will be stretched out so long as you could have the time for. These stops alongside the best way spotlight a few of the finest locations within the south:
- Charlotte, NC: The checklist of issues to do on this energetic cities is sort of lengthy, making it a fantastic place to begin a visit. Don’t miss the Billy Graham Library and the Mint Museum, that are each distinctive to Charlotte.
- Columbia, SC: In your means south, cease in Columbia and do some buying on the Soda Metropolis Market earlier than heading to close by Congaree Nationwide Park for a scenic hike.
- Charleston, SC: One other southern bucket-list metropolis, Charleston is charming and brimming with historic landmarks, inexperienced areas, and nice meals. Take a home tour at Middleton Place or discover the Magnolia Plantation & Gardens to get a really feel for town’s structure and historical past.
- Savannah, GA: Savannah is a southern icon, and for good cause. Discover town on foot and benefit from the charming structure. For extra concepts on the place to go and what to do, take a look at our Savannah Information!
- Jacksonville, FL: As you make your means additional south alongside the coast, think about stopping at St. Simons Island or Fernandina Seashore earlier than making it to Jacksonville. Take in the fantastic thing about the seashore at Little Talbot State Park or Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park.
Jacksonville’s chill seashore environment is the right option to deliver this highway journey to an in depth after the bustle of those vibrant southern cities, which may all be a visit vacation spot on their very own.
5. Tampa to Miami, FL
From one coast to a different, driving from Tampa to Miami is a delight. Not solely will you get to take in the solar on a few of Florida’s finest seashores, however it’s also possible to get your fill of outside journey at Everglades as effectively.
- Tampa: Take a drive on the Sunshine Skyway Bridge earlier than parking the automobile to walk alongside the Tampa River Stroll. There, you possibly can take a river taxi for an excellent higher option to see the sights.
- Sarasota: Head south to Sarasota and uncover that this excellent metropolis has extra to supply than simply its well-known seashores. Myakka State Park is without doubt one of the oldest and largest state parks and a fantastic place to get acquainted with wildlife.
- Fort Myers: One other excellent spot to take pleasure in nature, Fort Myers has lots to supply for many who love water equivalent to paddleboarding, kayaking, and snorkeling. Ensure to cease at Six Mile Cypress Slough Protect the place you possibly can be taught extra about native wildlife preservation efforts.
- Naples: This small seashore metropolis is thought for its gorgeous ocean views and lovely parks. The Naples Botanical Backyard and Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary are each fashionable sights that seize the world’s magnificence.
- Marco Island: Smaller and fewer crowded than most seashores in Florida, Marco Island is the right place to calm down. Head over to Keewaydin Island the place there aren’t any automobiles, roads or bridges to get an actual style of island life. South Marco seashore is the place you’ll find turquoise water and pristine white sand.
- Everglades Nationwide Park: As you drive east in the direction of Miami, you’ll reduce proper by means of the Everglades. The park itself is filled with wildlife and plantlife to marvel at.
- Miami: Miami is a good vacation spot by itself, not to mention a enjoyable place to wrap up an epic highway journey like this one. Get a really feel for the long-lasting avenue artwork at Wynwood Partitions and check out a cuban sandwich in Little Havana earlier than heading out to salsa dance the evening away.
4. St. Louis, MO to Jackson, MS
Technically starting within the midwestern metropolis of St. Louis, this southern highway journey is a good one for these of you who love historical past and the outside. There are many nice museums and sights alongside this route, so buckle up for an mental journey!
- St. Louis, MO: St. Louis made our checklist for Midwestern highway journeys and it’s truly a fantastic place to begin a visit down south, too. Gear up in your journey by visiting the long-lasting Gateway Arch and Forest Park, which was the positioning of the World’s Fairgrounds through the Louisiana buy Exposition in 1904. Such a cool historical past!
- Cape Girardeau, MO: Transferring south, cease right here to see the Missouri Corridor of Fame and the Cape Girardeau Conservation Nature Middle.
- Sikeston, MO: This city doesn’t have a lot occurring, however you’re in for a deal with if you happen to can cease in to Lambert’s Cafe, House of the Throwed Rolls. Sure, “throwed rolls” is literal right here. It’s typical southern meals served in troughs and thrown by means of the air from skilled roll throwing waiters. It’s a complete sensory expertise and price a cease.
- Memphis, TN: A visit to this musical metropolis wouldn’t be full with no cease at Solar Studio historic website and Graceland museum. One other high spot in Memphis is the Nationwide Civil Rights Museum, which supplies guests a complete image of the Civil Rights motion within the USA.
- Jackson, MS: Right here you’ll find the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum to proceed your academic journey by means of the south. This historic metropolis is residence to many different superb museums and has a powerful assortment of distilleries that may be loved as effectively.
3. Austin to Corpus Christi, TX
There may be rather more to Texas than cowboy hats and big truck stops, I promise. This journey will take you to a few of Texas’s most hip and various cities and even a pair gorgeous outdoorsy areas.
- Austin: This metropolis is thought for its plentiful inexperienced areas and proximity to many outside locations. It’s a fantastic place to kick off a highway journey! Try the Wildflower Middle on the Girl Chook Hike-and-Bike Path or spend the day meandering round Mount Bonnell earlier than you begin your journey east.
- San Marcos: It is a fast cease, as the principle attraction is the attractive San Marcos River. Relying in your stage of adrenaline looking for, you possibly can benefit from the river by floating down it on a tube, kayak, or white water raft by means of its rougher areas.
- San Antonio: A metropolis recognized for its eclectic mixture of southern and Mexican tradition, San Antonio is a good place to catch a stay music present, discover artwork galleries, and chow down on some superior meals. The Pure Bridge Caverns are a must-see whilst you’re right here and don’t overlook to take a stroll on the well-known San Antonio River Stroll.
- Three Rivers: One other fast cease on this journey, Three Rivers is residence to Choke Canyon State Park. The park is a good place to get out for a swim, take a hike, and even camp!
- Corpus Christi: Positioned subsequent to the San Padre Nationwide Seashore, Corpus Christi is the best place to have a calming finish to your journey. In the event you’re round in the summertime, you would possibly have the ability to see the hatching and launch of child sea turtles!
2. Oklahoma Metropolis, OK to Scorching Springs, AK
This journey encompasses many issues that make the South distinctive from the remainder of america. It actually covers all of the southern bases; Native American Historical past, Civil Rights Historical past, scenic drives, and outside recreation.
- Oklahoma Metropolis, OK: Get into the spirit of the south on the Nationwide Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum or the American Banjo Museum. You may also take a look at some native crops on the Myriad Botanical Gardens and Will Rogers Park.
- Tulsa, OK: This metropolis is a good place to get acquainted with Native American historical past and tradition. Don’t miss the Gilcrease Museum and The Cave Home for an thrilling journey by means of time. Try the Gathering Place whilst you’re there and have a blast on the adult-sized playground.
- Ozark, AR: Make your option to the Pig Path Nationwide Scenic Byway to soak up the fantastic thing about the forest. From there, you may make a cease at Byrd’s Journey Middle for a fast canoe or kayak trip on the Mulberry River.
- Little Rock, AR: Earlier than heading into town, cease at Pinnacle Mountain State Park for a hike. From there, make your means into the guts of Little Rock and take a look at the Little Rock Central Excessive College Nationwide Historic Website, which chronicles the historical past of desegregation within the USA.
- Scorching Springs, AR: This quaint metropolis has made a pair lists right here on BMTM and for good cause. It’s come to Scorching Springs Nationwide Park, which is the smallest nationwide park within the USA and has some good brief hikes and calming scorching springs.
- Ouachita Nationwide Forest: Proper outdoors of Scorching Springs, you’ll discover the Ouachita Nationwide Forest. There, you possibly can camp, mountain bike, hike, and a lot extra.
1. Charlotte, NC to Nashville, TN
Sure, there are two journeys on this checklist that start in Charlotte. That’s as a result of there actually is a lot to do there! This time heading north in the direction of Tennessee, this highway journey will take you to a few of the South’s most stunning scenic drives that you just gained’t need to miss.
- Charlotte, NC: One other nice cease in Charlotte is the Levine Museum of the New South, the place you may get a post-Civil Conflict historical past lesson. If NASCAR is your factor, Charlotte can be residence to the NASCAR Corridor of Fame.
- Asheville, NC: This southern metropolis has grow to be a magnet for younger individuals on the lookout for a hip place to name residence. It’s recognized for its close by pure wonders and neat structure, together with its iconic folks music scene. Go for Mountaintop Tour at Navitat Cover Adventures and go to the Biltmore Property earlier than you allow.
- Nantahala Nationwide Forest: The biggest forest in North Carolina, this one may preserve you occupied for days on finish. Right here you possibly can go whitewater rafting, mountain biking, or horseback driving earlier than pitching a tent to camp for the evening.
- Knoxville, TN: Knoxville is a charmer, I’m warning you. It’s recognized for its neat mix of recent and previous with locations just like the historic Tennessee Theatre located intently to the ultra-modern Knoxville Museum of Artwork. Go for a stroll in Market Sq. or for a hike at Ijams Nature Middle.
- Crab Orchard, TN: This city is price a cease as it’s residence to the Catoosa Wildlife Administration Space. Recognized for its scenic hikes and birdwatching, it makes a fantastic place to get out and stretch your legs earlier than heading to Nashville.
- Nashville, TN: Similar to it’s a fantastic place to begin a highway journey, Nashville can be a stellar place to finish one. Keep so long as you’d like and discover the music and meals scene of this iconic metropolis earlier than heading residence.
Every of those journeys have one thing totally different to supply, making it a fantastic place to begin planning your subsequent huge highway journey journey. The South is brimming with historical past that’s finest discovered by means of expertise; strolling by means of museums, visiting historic websites, and taking within the place the place all the things occurred.