I consider Mexico as a treasure trove of gorgeous locations to discover and regardless that I’ve lived right here for almost two years, I’m reminded on a regular basis that I’ve solely simply scratched the floor. Guests from all around the world flock to locations like Cancún, Tulum and Cabo San Lucas to benefit from the beautiful seashores right here, however I can guarantee you that there’s a lot extra to find off the crushed path in Mexico. Come for the breathtaking landscapes and stick round for the scrumptious meals, cultural richness, and heat hospitality:
10. San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas
This pueblo mágico, or “magic city” because it’s known as in Mexico, has the laid again environment you’d anticipate from a small metropolis, however with a non secular undercurrent that’s current nearly in every single place you go. As a hub for permaculture lovers, yogis, and non secular healers, this a an amazing vacation spot for anybody searching for a transformative journey expertise.
What to do in San Cristóbal de las Casas:
- Climb the steps at La Iglesia de Guadalupe or La Iglesia de San Cristobalito to get the very best views of town.
- Discover close by Eco Parks like Arcotete, Montetik, or El Encuentro to get out into nature.
- Go to one of many many native museums such because the Jade Museum, Cacao Museum, or Ambar Museum. Every of those showcases an essential a part of the native tradition.
- Stroll alongside the well-known andadores, or strolling streets. These streets are closed off to site visitors and actually the hub for all the very best eating places on the town and an amazing place to buy.
- Bonus: Take a day journey to San Juan de Chamula to immerse your self within the indigenous traditions and tradition or head over to Chiapa de Corzo to attempt some scrumptious native meals and store for handmade textiles.
The place to remain in San Cristóbal de las Casas:
- La Isla Hostal is a superb place for budget-conscious travellers searching for a way of group.
- Na Bolom is a lodge and museum with a trigger, working together with an area nonprofit to help the encompassing communities.
- Sombra del Agua has a surprising backyard courtyard and is centrally situated.
9. San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato
Identified to be one of the vital architecturally important cities in Mexico, San Miguel de Allende can have you strolling together with your head craned again to soak up all of the brilliantly coloured buildings. This can be a metropolis I’d suggest spending as a lot time in as you may–however watch out since you simply would possibly by no means wish to go away!
What to do in San Miguel de Allende:
- Take a historic strolling tour to soak up the beautiful colonial structure and study extra concerning the historical past of this iconic Mexican metropolis.
- Go to the Fábrica La Aurora, which was an previous cloth mill. Now it has been reworked into an area for artwork galleries, outlets, and cafes and is among the trendiest locations within the metropolis.
- Discover the Mercado de Artesanías to see textiles, handicrafts, and way more from throughout the nation.
- Take a look at the native produce on the Mercado de San Juan de Dios the place yow will discover regional delights and marvel on the number of fruit and veggies.
- Get exterior town to see the World Heritage Web site of Santuario de Atotonilco, which is a church advanced that was constructed within the Seventeenth century. It’s referred to as the “Sistine Chapel of Mexico” due to its breathtaking murals.
- Bonus: Inside Mexico, San Miguel is definitely identified for its vineyards which is perhaps stunning contemplating how well-known the nation is for its mezcal and tequila. Take a look at the winery Dos Buhos and sip on some native wine.
The place to remain in San Miguel de Allende:
8. Santiago de Queretaro
Situated nearly adjoining to San Miguel de Allende, typically travellers overlook Santiago de Queretaro. Nevertheless, it actually has its personal id as a culturally important metropolis and is even identified to be the most effective locations in Mexico for solo feminine vacationers. That’s a win-win in the event you ask me!
What to do in Santiago de Queretaro:
- Wander across the UNESCO-listed metropolis heart, which has magnificence round each nook. This a part of town is stuffed with andadores, or strolling streets, which make it extremely accessible and simple to navigate.
- My absolute favourite place to go to in a brand new Mexican metropolis is the market. Discover all of the native delights at Mercado la Cruz and perhaps even seize a chunk to eat when you’re there.
- Go to the El Cerrito pyramid which was constructed centuries in the past by the traditional Chichimeca folks.
- Queretaro is thought for having a number of the finest wine in Mexico, so contemplate taking a wine and cheese tour when you’re there.
- Take your self on a whole tour of the plentiful museums, ensuring to cease on the Museo Regional (INAH) and the Museo de Arte de Querétaro.
- Head to Jardín de Cerveza Hércules for a chilly domestically brewed beer. This hip spot is definitely inside an previous textile manufacturing unit and tends to draw a youthful crowd.
The place to remain in in Santiago de Queretaro:
- Lunar de Casa Zen is a quaint and reasonably priced Airbnb and even has a yoga studio on-site.
- Antigua Altamira flats have all of the coziness and luxury you want for an extended keep.
7. San Luis Potosí
San Luis Potosí has made its solution to many bucket lists primarily for its unbelievable pure wonders close by. From waterfalls to crystal clear lagoons to surreal structure, this charming metropolis has all of it.
What to do in San Luis Potosí:
- Take a fast journey over to the Micos waterfalls. The doorway charge is simply 40 pesos (about $2USD) and you may truly Skybike over the waterfalls to see them from above.
- One other stellar waterfall, Cascada de Tamul is one which you can truly take pleasure in by canoe! Trip alongside the river under the waterfall or take a hike to the highest to see it from a unique angle.
- Go to La Huasteca Potosina, which is just a few hours’ drive from town however completely definitely worth the journey. It’s a lush space filled with cenote-like ponds, waterfalls, and even sizzling springs. Think about taking a tour there in the event you’re not conversant in the realm because it’s fairly distant.
- Not like another place on the earth, Edward James’ Las Pozas in Xilitla is each unusual and alluring. It’s an amazing day journey from San Luis Potosi and consists of gardens, ponds, and actually distinctive structure.
The place to remain in San Luis Potosí:
- Resort Museo Palacio de San Agustin is situated in a Seventeenth-century constructing and has all of the attraction you’d anticipate from an previous colonial lodge. They even supply horse drawn carriage excursions of town!
- Casa Catalina is completely cute and has an eclectic Mexican flare.
6. Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca
Puerto Escondido is a well-liked vacation spot for surfers from throughout Latin America and has grown significantly in reputation in the previous couple of years. It’s a hub for hippie counterculture and backpackers due to its laid again environment and lengthy stretches of resort-free seashores.
What to do in Puerto Escondido:
- Take a protracted stroll alongside Playa Zicatela. Preserve a watch out for child turtles and different creatures on the shore.
- Go for a nighttime tour at Laguna de Manialtepec to see the unbelievable bioluminescent waters mild up.
- Take a surf lesson at Playa Carrizalillo the place the waves are good for freshmen.
- Take an aerial silks, yoga, or dance class at Casa Chango to get your physique shifting and perhaps even study a brand new talent.
- Bonus: For those who’re loving the hippie vibe of Puerto Escondido, contemplate making a visit over to Mazunte, which is one other neat seaside city that backpackers love.
The place to remain in Puerto Escondido:
- Resort Escondido is a Puerto favourite with its fashionable decor and serene vibe.
- Bikini Seashore Home has a cool indoors-meets-outdoors environment and superb seaside views.
- Barbarenas has cool earthen beachfront bungalows in case you wish to get immersed within the yogi vibe of the realm.
5. Mazatlan, Sinaloa
Situated on the Pacific Coast, Mazatlan boasts a number of the finest sand and surf that Mexico has to supply. This small metropolis has skilled a current increase in tourism, however has retained most of its small city really feel.
What to do in Mazatlan:
- Proper while you get into city, exit and stroll alongside the Malecon to get a really feel for the city and take within the ocean views.
- Stroll by way of town heart, ensuring to cease at Machado Sq. to soak up the picturesque structure.
- Take a hike to the El Faro lighthouse for some much more spectacular views of the ocean. There’s a path main as much as it that takes simply half-hour or so to climb.
- Catch a wave at Playa Brujas the place you may hire a surfboard and even take a surf lesson in the event you fancy it.
- Bonus: From Mazatlan, you may take a ferry over to Isla de la Piedra the place you will get away from the enterprise of city and take a swim. It’s not technically an island, however it will in any other case take an hour to drive there, making the ferry a a lot better wager.
The place to remain in Mazatlan:
- There are lots of giant chain inns in Mazatlan, making Airbnb a better option in the event you’re searching for one thing cozier. Take a look at this one which has a laid again really feel.
- Casa Lulu is a boutique lodge that’s situated proper on the favored Malecon.
4. La Paz, Baja California Sur
Named for its peaceable waters, La Paz is a superb place to chill out and absorb nature. Situated close to the underside of the California isthmus, this sunny seaside vacation spot is commonly neglected due to its proximity to Cabo San Lucas. Nevertheless, it has a vibe of its personal and is unquestionably value a go to.
What to do in La Paz:
- Take within the ocean views of the Malecon boardwalk. There you’ll discover loads of outlets and eating places to peruse by way of as you stroll.
- Exit to Isla Espiritu Santo, a UNESCO biosphere reserve that’s identified for its sea lions. If you wish to catch a glimpse of those superb animals, make sure that to not e book your journey between June 1 to September 1 throughout child sea lion season.
- Absorb the solar at Playa El Coromuel, which is internationally acknowledged as one of many cleanest and eco-friendly seashores in Mexico.
- See whale sharks of their pure habitat. This tour firm arranges snorkelling excursions, too!
- Go to the Museo de Antropología e Historia de Baja California Sur to study extra concerning the space’s historical past and tradition.
The place to remain in La Paz:
- Hostel Bermejo is a superb budget-friendly hostel that has personal rooms and dorms. It’s located only a couple blocks from the seaside and strolling distance to eating places.
- Resort Catedral has a contemporary flare and stellar views from their rooftop which additionally has a pool.
3. Monterrey, Nuevo Leon
Monterrey is a big metropolis and identified all through México as being rather a lot like a mini-Mexico Metropolis. Nevertheless, a visit there’ll show that this vacation spot has is personal distinctive environment that units it aside from many different locations within the nation. From the quintessential norteño gastronomy to the colourful artwork scene, you received’t wish to miss this one.
What to do in Monterrey:
- Peruse by way of The Palacio del Obispado, an 18th century palace with sensible colonial structure. It’s house to the Regional Museum as effectively, which showcases Monterrey’s historical past and tradition.
- Go to the Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Monterrey (MARCO) to take a look at modern artwork from Mexican and Latin American artists. Contained in the MARCO there are 11 galleries, every with their very own fashion.
- Take a tour of the previous city Barrio Antiguo, the place you may really feel the nostalgia of colonial instances. This neighborhood can be a sizzling spot for some tasty eating places and nightlife.
- For those who’re a rock climber and even only a nature fanatic, head out to Parque la Huasteca for an journey. With over 300 climbing routes and loads of surroundings, it’s the most effective locations within the metropolis to get outdoor.
- Discover the Garcia caves only a brief drive from town. These underground marvels are identified for his or her spectacular stalactites and stalagmites.
The place to remain in Monterrey:
2. Mérida, Yucatán
Mérida holds a particular place in my coronary heart as a result of I studied overseas there in faculty and it’s the backdrop for a few of my most cherished reminiscences in Mexico. Past that, it’s an superior place to go to for a lot of causes, one in every of them being that it’s completely beautiful!
You’ll discover stunning structure round each nook, a full of life metropolis heart that appears to at all times have a cultural occasion occurring, and gastronomy that’s certain to make your style buds very joyful.
What to do in Mérida:
- Take pleasure in every thing happening within the Plaza Grande. On Friday nights, they’ve performers reenacting the normal Mayan juego de pelota or “ball sport” with a flaming rubber ball. On Sundays you may catch some conventional dances and discover the popup tents throughout Merida en domingo.
- Do a strolling tour. There may be one day by day at 10am in Parque Santa Lucia and it’s free, though a tip of not less than 100 pesos is really useful (that’s about $5 USD).
- Go take a dip in a cenote. There are actually 1000’s of cenotes within the Yucatán peninsula to select from. A couple of of my private favorites are Chaksikin and Cascabel that are only a brief drive away.
- Hop from place to put alongside the Paseo de Montejo, which is a protracted avenue dotted with museums, historic websites, and a few of Mérida’s finest eating places.
- Get acquainted with the Mayan tradition on the Gran Museo del Mundo Maya. This superb museum showcases the fascinating historical past of the Maya folks and offers guests perception into the tradition that’s nonetheless current right this moment.
The place to remain in Mérida:
- Piedra de Agua is a super-chic small lodge that’s ideally situated within the centro historico.
- Ya’ax Resort Boutique has that luxurious feeling with the fashionable Yucatecan structure and design that could be a good mixture of latest and previous.
I first visited Campeche again in 2017 and knew little about it beforehand. To my delight, this small coastal metropolis was so enjoyable to discover and has an interesting historical past. There nonetheless stands historical Mayan ruins alongside pirate forts and the quintessential Spanish structure, creating an environment that’s distinctive to this vibrant metropolis.
What to do in Campeche:
- Stroll by way of the “previous metropolis” a part of city, which is a UNESCO World Heritage website. Alongside the oceanfront malecón, there are at all times quite a lot of road carts with tasty treats and contemporary coconuts.
- Take a look at the Museo de Arquitectura Maya, the place you may study Mayan structure.
- Go to the forts, which had been constructed to guard town from pirates again within the 18th century. There are two principal forts to see, Fuerte San José and Fuerte San Miguel, that are each on the outskirts of town.
- Enterprise out to see the flamingos at Celestún. It’s a pair hours exterior Campeche, however positively definitely worth the day journey. When you get there, you may take a ship by way of the shallow waters and see lots of of flamingos. The perfect time to go is in March when their flocks are the most important.
- Bonus: A fast day journey to the Mayan ruins at Edzna is important in the event you’re going to Campeche. For those who suppose Chichen Itza is spectacular, Edzna is simply as attention-grabbing and has a fraction of the group.
The place to remain in Campeche:
- Hacienda Puerta Campeche is lush and charming. Whereas its on the pricier finish, it’s nonetheless accessible and has superb facilities.
- Casa Don Gustavo has a mode that’s so uniquely Mexican that it’ll actually make you are feeling such as you stepped again into the nineteenth century with its quirky decor.
I’m right here to let you know that Mexico is stuffed with magical locations which are far much less touristy than the crowded seaside locations that we’re used to listening to about. Attending to a few of these areas won’t be as easy or easy, however are utterly value the additional planning. Not solely will you get to take pleasure in some superb surroundings in these locations, however you too can attempt a number of the most scrumptious meals of your life and genuinely have a good time.